Friday, February 5, 2016

Laughing Medicine



One day a while back I was thinking about all the concepts that created the image of who I was. I thought about my name, the way I look, my beliefs and thoughts, my past and everything that “I” am, and unexplainably started laughing. This deeply serene and calming feeling filled my entire being. I realized that all the ideas of what I am and how I identified what was me, were nothing more than concepts. They are just part of the puzzle. What we are is so much deeper and more beautiful than we can understand or express, and in that moment I was reminded of that. This laughter reminded me not to take this conception of myself and all the opinions or beliefs I have so damn seriously. It taught me that this image is just a role that I am playing, so I should play with it. It was one of the more powerful moments in my life.

So long as we live right now in this moment, there are no problems. As long as we do not connect our being too fiercely with the image or the idea of ourselves, we will not experience a state of disharmony within or to the world we are a part of. I have found that more often than not if I was to step back are take a more complete view of things as they happen, many frustrations and troubles could be avoided. For example if something bad was to happen, I may feel upset or angry not that it happened but that it happened to ME. If I was to take a wider perspective I might find that it isn’t happening to me it is just happening, and I am witnessing this happening. The question once came to me whether or not negative experiences exist solely to remind us to let go of our complete identification of ourselves with the “I” concept.  I have found that one of the most beautiful and healing things that we can do is to laugh at ourselves from time to time. Not only can laughter alter our mood and bring us into a state of happiness, but it can remind us of what is truly important in life.
From there it led me to an idea that at the time I called laughing meditation. There is a yoga or meditation for nearly everything these days and I thought this idea fit perfectly within this group. My idea was pretty simple. All you do is think about all the concepts, ideas, pains, memories, desires, etc. that you think make up the basis of "you”. Go as deep as you can, and let it build. When it all starts to get overwhelming, simply laugh from your belly and let it all go. Imagine all of yourself dying and fading away, and yet you will find that there is still so much left. Beyond all the concepts there is still so much left. Look at yourself in the mirror and laugh at yourself. Laugh at how serious you take yourself. Remind yourself to be fearless and to play. Be flexible and open. To me has been more of a medicine than a meditation, but I feel that there is great power in this simple idea.


No comments:

Post a Comment